What is involved in Network monitoring
Find out what the related areas are that Network monitoring connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Network monitoring thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Network monitoring journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Network monitoring leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Network monitoring related domains to cover and 116 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Network monitoring, Business service management, Check MK, Comparison of network monitoring systems, Computer and network surveillance, Computer network, Computer networks, Domain name system, End-to-end delay, File Transfer Protocol, High availability, HyperText Transfer Protocol, Internet Control Message Protocol, Internet Message Access Protocol, Intrusion detection system, Network Monitoring Interface Card, Network administrator, Network management, Network tap, Network tomography, Network traffic measurement, Post Office Protocol, Response time, Round-trip delay time, Route analytics, Secure Shell, Secure Sockets Layer, Session Initiation Protocol, Short Message Service, Simple Mail Transfer Protocol, Simple Network Management Protocol, System monitor, Transmission Control Protocol, User Datagram Protocol, Viavi Solutions, Vigilo NMS, Web server, Website monitoring:
Network monitoring Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize Network monitoring projects and plan concise Network monitoring education.
– Does our organization need more Network monitoring education?
– How do we go about Securing Network monitoring?
– Are we Assessing Network monitoring and Risk?
Business service management Critical Criteria:
Add value to Business service management adoptions and improve Business service management service perception.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Network monitoring in a volatile global economy?
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Network monitoring does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Network monitoring?
Check MK Critical Criteria:
Huddle over Check MK risks and catalog what business benefits will Check MK goals deliver if achieved.
– What are our needs in relation to Network monitoring skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– How do we measure improved Network monitoring service perception, and satisfaction?
Comparison of network monitoring systems Critical Criteria:
Pilot Comparison of network monitoring systems outcomes and plan concise Comparison of network monitoring systems education.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Network monitoring?
– How can you negotiate Network monitoring successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Network monitoring leader?
Computer and network surveillance Critical Criteria:
Canvass Computer and network surveillance engagements and create Computer and network surveillance explanations for all managers.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Network monitoring?
– Who needs to know about Network monitoring ?
– How do we Lead with Network monitoring in Mind?
Computer network Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot Computer network projects and display thorough understanding of the Computer network process.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Network monitoring. How do we gain traction?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Network monitoring processes?
– Is the illegal entry into a private computer network a crime in your country?
– How do we maintain Network monitorings Integrity?
Computer networks Critical Criteria:
Test Computer networks quality and perfect Computer networks conflict management.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Network monitoring workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Will Network monitoring deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Domain name system Critical Criteria:
Value Domain name system visions and raise human resource and employment practices for Domain name system.
– How much does Network monitoring help?
– Is Network monitoring Required?
End-to-end delay Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on End-to-end delay governance and get out your magnifying glass.
– Think about the people you identified for your Network monitoring project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– What is our Network monitoring Strategy?
File Transfer Protocol Critical Criteria:
Gauge File Transfer Protocol leadership and test out new things.
– Does the Network monitoring task fit the clients priorities?
– Is Supporting Network monitoring documentation required?
High availability Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct High availability issues and gather High availability models .
– What are some of our practices for having application consistent snapshots across multiple persistent storage systems for disaster recovery and or high availability purposes?
– Should the deployment occur in high availability mode or should we configure in bypass mode?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Network monitoring that make it risky?
– How can sdn be applied in the context of disaster recovery and high availability?
– Are our applications designed for high availability and disaster recovery?
– Is the application designed for high availability and disaster recovery?
– Who will provide the final approval of Network monitoring deliverables?
HyperText Transfer Protocol Critical Criteria:
Boost HyperText Transfer Protocol results and arbitrate HyperText Transfer Protocol techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Network monitoring product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– What are the disruptive Network monitoring technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
Internet Control Message Protocol Critical Criteria:
Examine Internet Control Message Protocol planning and gather practices for scaling Internet Control Message Protocol.
– In the case of a Network monitoring project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Network monitoring project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Network monitoring project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– What is the purpose of Network monitoring in relation to the mission?
Internet Message Access Protocol Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for Internet Message Access Protocol governance and find the essential reading for Internet Message Access Protocol researchers.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Network monitoring values?
– Does Network monitoring appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Intrusion detection system Critical Criteria:
Match Intrusion detection system tasks and do something to it.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Network monitoring services/products?
– Can intrusion detection systems be configured to ignore activity that is generated by authorized scanner operation?
– In a project to restructure Network monitoring outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– Is Network monitoring dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– What is a limitation of a server-based intrusion detection system (ids)?
Network Monitoring Interface Card Critical Criteria:
Consult on Network Monitoring Interface Card issues and develop and take control of the Network Monitoring Interface Card initiative.
– What are current Network monitoring Paradigms?
Network administrator Critical Criteria:
Disseminate Network administrator tactics and customize techniques for implementing Network administrator controls.
– You work as a network administrator for mcrobert inc. the company has a tcp/ip-based network. which of the following information should be documented to facilitate disaster recovery?
– What are our best practices for minimizing Network monitoring project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Network monitoring project lifecycle?
– What are the key elements of your Network monitoring performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– What is the total cost related to deploying Network monitoring, including any consulting or professional services?
Network management Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Network management governance and maintain Network management for success.
– What about Network monitoring Analysis of results?
Network tap Critical Criteria:
Focus on Network tap tactics and devise Network tap key steps.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Network monitoring objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
Network tomography Critical Criteria:
Incorporate Network tomography governance and create Network tomography explanations for all managers.
– What vendors make products that address the Network monitoring needs?
– Are there recognized Network monitoring problems?
Network traffic measurement Critical Criteria:
Infer Network traffic measurement governance and intervene in Network traffic measurement processes and leadership.
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Network monitoring?
– How do we Improve Network monitoring service perception, and satisfaction?
Post Office Protocol Critical Criteria:
Grade Post Office Protocol tactics and correct better engagement with Post Office Protocol results.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Network monitoring project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Network monitoring opportunities costing us money?
Response time Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on Response time failures and be persistent.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Network monitoring process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Network monitoring process available?
– Have we thought of cost, functionality,vendor support, vendor viability, quality of documentation, ease of learning, ease of use, ease of installation, response time, throughput, version?
– Does one expect an improvement in availability or response times that will result in increased user satisfaction?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Network monitoring project?
– How can skill-level changes improve Network monitoring?
Round-trip delay time Critical Criteria:
Reorganize Round-trip delay time management and cater for concise Round-trip delay time education.
– How will you measure your Network monitoring effectiveness?
Route analytics Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for Route analytics results and describe which business rules are needed as Route analytics interface.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Network monitoring process?
– Are accountability and ownership for Network monitoring clearly defined?
Secure Shell Critical Criteria:
Align Secure Shell results and look at the big picture.
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Network monitoring project?
– How likely is the current Network monitoring plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
Secure Sockets Layer Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Secure Sockets Layer engagements and differentiate in coordinating Secure Sockets Layer.
– Think about the functions involved in your Network monitoring project. what processes flow from these functions?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Network monitoring moving forward?
Session Initiation Protocol Critical Criteria:
Check Session Initiation Protocol tasks and sort Session Initiation Protocol activities.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Network monitoring? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Does Network monitoring analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– Do Network monitoring rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
Short Message Service Critical Criteria:
Think carefully about Short Message Service decisions and get out your magnifying glass.
– For your Network monitoring project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– How is the value delivered by Network monitoring being measured?
Simple Mail Transfer Protocol Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about Simple Mail Transfer Protocol management and devote time assessing Simple Mail Transfer Protocol and its risk.
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Network monitoring objectives?
Simple Network Management Protocol Critical Criteria:
Start Simple Network Management Protocol goals and develop and take control of the Simple Network Management Protocol initiative.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Network monitoring experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Is Network monitoring Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
System monitor Critical Criteria:
X-ray System monitor planning and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling System monitor projects.
– Is the Network monitoring organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
Transmission Control Protocol Critical Criteria:
Consult on Transmission Control Protocol leadership and spearhead techniques for implementing Transmission Control Protocol.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Network monitoring strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Is a Network monitoring Team Work effort in place?
– Why are Network monitoring skills important?
User Datagram Protocol Critical Criteria:
Reorganize User Datagram Protocol engagements and explore and align the progress in User Datagram Protocol.
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Network monitoring?
Viavi Solutions Critical Criteria:
Trace Viavi Solutions planning and handle a jump-start course to Viavi Solutions.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Network monitoring into the services that we provide?
– Does Network monitoring create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
Vigilo NMS Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Vigilo NMS risks and report on the economics of relationships managing Vigilo NMS and constraints.
– Consider your own Network monitoring project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Network monitoring move?
Web server Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Web server adoptions and gather practices for scaling Web server.
– Are web servers located on a publicly reachable network segment separated from the internal network by a firewall (dmz)?
– Do we know what we have specified in continuity of operations plans and disaster recovery plans?
– How do we Identify specific Network monitoring investment and emerging trends?
– Are assumptions made in Network monitoring stated explicitly?
Website monitoring Critical Criteria:
Understand Website monitoring tasks and know what your objective is.
– what is the best design framework for Network monitoring organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– Does Network monitoring analysis show the relationships among important Network monitoring factors?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Network monitoring Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Network monitoring External links:
APCON Intelligent Network Monitoring
Network monitoring software – PRTG | Paessler
Network Monitoring Software WhatsUp Gold – Ipswitch
Business service management External links:
Login – HP Business Service Management
Business Service Management (BSM)
Comparison of network monitoring systems External links:
Comparison of network monitoring systems |THWACK
Comparison of network monitoring systems | Speedy …
Computer and network surveillance External links:
Computer and network surveillance – The Art of Service
Computer and network surveillance | The Meaning
Computer and network surveillance!! – YouTube
Computer network External links:
Technical Support | Computer Repair | Computer Network
How to find my computer network name – Mil Incorporated
Computer networks External links:
Home Computer Networks | Home Automation – Home …
Domain name system External links:
[PDF]Secure Domain Name System (DNS) Deployment Guide
Domain Name System | NTIA
Dnscmd Syntax: Domain Name System(DNS)
End-to-end delay External links:
[1703.01641] Dependable End-to-End Delay Constraints …
File Transfer Protocol External links:
[PDF]Air Resources Board File Transfer Protocol (FTP)
DET File Transfer Protocol
FTP (File Transfer Protocol) Definition | Investopedia
High availability External links:
FlashGrid | Database High Availability Simplified
High Availability Replication Software | EVault & DoubleTake
HyperText Transfer Protocol External links:
[PDF]Hypertext Transfer Protocol – Washington University …
HTTP – Hypertext Transfer Protocol Overview
CiteSeerX — Hypertext Transfer Protocol — HTTP/1.1
Internet Control Message Protocol External links:
[PDF]Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP)
Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) Parameters
ICMP (Internet Control Message Protocol) – Tech-FAQ
Internet Message Access Protocol External links:
Internet Message Access Protocol, v.4 (IMAP4)
Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) Capabilities Registry
IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) – Tech-FAQ
Intrusion detection system External links:
Intrusion Detection System Design and Installation
Network Monitoring Interface Card External links:
Network Monitoring Interface Card. http:// …
Network administrator External links:
What is a Network Administrator vs. a System Administrator?
Network Administrator, IT Salary – PayScale
Become a System and Network Administrator | HVCC
Network management External links:
UNMS – Ubiquiti Network Management System
What is Network Management? Webopedia Definition
Download Free Network Management & Free Network …
Network tap External links:
Network Tap & More | Dualcomm
Passive Network Tap – Revised. – Instructables
Network Tap, Regenerator Taps, and Tap Aggregators | Ixia
Network tomography External links:
[PDF]Shifting Network Tomography Toward A Practical Goal
Network Tomography | Network Monitoring | NetBeez
[PDF]Network Tomography – Georgia Institute of Technology
Network traffic measurement External links:
Network Traffic Measurement and Analysis Conference …
Network Traffic Measurement and Analysis Conference …
Post Office Protocol External links:
POP3 (Post Office Protocol 3) – Tech-FAQ
What is POP (Post Office Protocol)? – Computer Hope
What Is Post Office Protocol? POP and POP3 Definition
Response time External links:
EMS Response Time | fems
Average Wedding RSVP response time: The data is in
Round-trip delay time External links:
RTD | Round-Trip Delay Time | Glossary
Round-trip delay time – YouTube
Secure Shell External links:
[PPT]Secure Shell – SSH
What is Secure Shell (SSH)? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Secure Sockets Layer External links:
SSL Certificate #1 Secure Sockets Layer Provider – …
SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) – HE FAQ
What is SSL (Secure Sockets Layer)? – ssl2buy.com
Session Initiation Protocol External links:
SIP Trunking | Session Initiation Protocol | ShoreTel
Session Initiation Protocol | Android Developers
Short Message Service External links:
Short Message Service – …
What is SMS – Short Message Service? Webopedia …
What is SMSC – Short Message Service Center? Webopedia
Simple Mail Transfer Protocol External links:
The Remote Simple Mail Transfer Protocol Service …
Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) Relay – CDT Services
Some Facts About SMTP – Simple Mail Transfer Protocol
Simple Network Management Protocol External links:
What Is SNMP?: Simple Network Management Protocol …
System monitor External links:
NVIDIA System Monitor|NVIDIA
How to create a log using System Monitor in Windows
The Best System Monitor for Windows – Lifehacker
Transmission Control Protocol External links:
TCP/IP Transport Layer, Transmission Control Protocol…
User Datagram Protocol External links:
UDP (User Datagram Protocol) Definition – Lifewire
Transport Layer: User Datagram Protocol (UDP) – YouTube
User Datagram Protocol (UDP) – Techopedia.com
Viavi Solutions External links:
VIAVI Solutions – Home | Facebook
VIAVI Solutions Inc.
Vigilo NMS External links:
VIGILO NMS | Performance Monitoring
Web server External links:
WISCORS Network Web Server – Welcome
ProjectWise Web Server
Cesanta | Embedded web server
Website monitoring External links:
Site24x7 – Website Monitoring, Website Monitoring …
Uptrends – Website Monitoring and Web Performance …