What is involved in Data Management
Find out what the related areas are that Data Management connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Data Management thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Enterprise Metadata Management journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Enterprise Metadata Management leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Data Management related domains to cover and 388 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Data Management, Data Management, Data security, Digital preservation, Reference data, Email address, Computer data storage, Controlled vocabulary, Data erasure, Performance report, Data architecture, Data integration, Data privacy, Management fad, Data management plan, Business intelligence, Information Lifecycle Management, Competence Center Corporate Data Quality, Data mart, Relational database, Data theft, Data asset, Business continuity planning, Marketing operations, Customer data integration, Identity theft, Random access, Master data management, Data processing, Database administration, Data quality assurance, Data cleansing, Data analysis, Enterprise content management, Data maintenance, Data governance, Data enrichment, CRM software, ERP software, Corporate Data Quality Management, Identity management, Data mining, Data warehouse, Data quality, Open data, Data modeling, System integration, Postal code, Big data, Machine-Readable Documents, Information system, Data curation, Knowledge management, Information ladder, Data steward, Data integrity, Information architecture, Metadata publishing, Information design, Information management, Records management, Data proliferation, Metadata discovery, Database management system, Extract, transform, load, Solution stack, Data retention, Metadata registry, Process Management, Telephone number, Data access, Enterprise architecture, Document management system:
Data Management Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on Data Management projects and customize techniques for implementing Data Management controls.
– Are the data and associated software produced and/or used in the project accessible and in what modalities, scope, licenses (e.g. licencing framework for research and education, embargo periods, commercial exploitation, etc.)?
– Have standard policies and procedures about all aspects of data governance and the Data Management lifecycle, including collection, maintenance, usage and dissemination, been clearly defined and documented?
– What policies do we need to develop or enhance to ensure the quality control of data gathered?
– Assignment completeness are all parameters assigned and are all elements considered?
– When a dataset is deemed to no longer be worth keeping, who should be notified?
– If your data is being stored elsewhere, do they have a backup policy in place?
– What are some of the master data management architecture patterns?
– Which datasets are likely to be reused in future research?
– How will the impact on sharing data be mitigated?
– Where and on what media will you store the data?
– Who is responsible for updating the metadata?
– What is the configuration of the information?
– What data is generated by your organization?
– What will the costs of managing data be?
– Which metadata standards will you use?
– What metadata standard will be used?
– How long should data be maintained?
– What is a data management plan?
– Who is handling the backups?
Data Management Critical Criteria:
Value Data Management risks and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Data Management projects.
– Are the data and backups being stored in multiple places and on different media types to protect against a single-point failure?
– Have there been changes in resources allocated to Data Management staffing and equipment needs?
– Are there skills gaps around information and Data Management in your organization?
– Is someone responsible for migrating data sets that are in old/outdated formats?
– What tools will be required to read the data (e.g., software, instruments)?
– How will re-appraisal of data be managed within the repository system?
– Where and on what media will the data from each data source be stored?
– Are the data relevant to the strategic planning needs of the company?
– Should the data management plan be kept with the data?
– What are the alternatives to local data management?
– What variables and formats need to be addressed?
– What are the ramifications of cloud storage?
– What requirements are imposed by others?
– What are the benefits of using PDM?
– Why is data management important?
– Who provides PDM software?
– What data are included?
– Who is using PDM?
Data security Critical Criteria:
Understand Data security planning and display thorough understanding of the Data security process.
– Does the cloud solution offer equal or greater data security capabilities than those provided by your organizations data center?
– What are the minimum data security requirements for a database containing personal financial transaction records?
– Does Data Management systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– Do these concerns about data security negate the value of storage-as-a-service in the cloud?
– Is maximizing Data Management protection the same as minimizing Data Management loss?
– What are the challenges related to cloud computing data security?
– So, what should you do to mitigate these risks to data security?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Data Management move?
– Does it contain data security obligations?
– What is Data Security at Physical Layer?
– What is Data Security at Network Layer?
– How will you manage data security?
Digital preservation Critical Criteria:
Merge Digital preservation engagements and optimize Digital preservation leadership as a key to advancement.
– What are the key elements of your Data Management performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– Is the Data Management organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– How will you measure your Data Management effectiveness?
Reference data Critical Criteria:
Deliberate Reference data risks and finalize the present value of growth of Reference data.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Data Management delivery for example is new software needed?
– What are the business goals Data Management is aiming to achieve?
– What are our Data Management Processes?
Email address Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about Email address results and adopt an insight outlook.
– In CRM we keep record of email addresses and phone numbers of our customers employees. Will we now need to ask for explicit permission to store them?
– Who is currently performing the database work, and how big is the legacy database in terms of addresses, email addresses, touches, preferences?
– Are a customers business phone number; business email address and business IP address also considered to be personal data?
– Who are the key service provider and customer contacts (name, phone number, email address)?
– How do we go about Comparing Data Management approaches/solutions?
– Does Data Management appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Computer data storage Critical Criteria:
Explore Computer data storage goals and plan concise Computer data storage education.
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Data Management activities?
– Are accountability and ownership for Data Management clearly defined?
– Are there Data Management problems defined?
Controlled vocabulary Critical Criteria:
Check Controlled vocabulary strategies and reduce Controlled vocabulary costs.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Data Management experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– What is our formula for success in Data Management ?
Data erasure Critical Criteria:
Adapt Data erasure leadership and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Data erasure.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Data Management. How do we gain traction?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Data Management? There might be some that are less obvious?
Performance report Critical Criteria:
Recall Performance report leadership and change contexts.
– Do we obtain it performance reports illustrating the value of it from a business driver perspective (Customer Service, cost, agility, quality, etc.)?
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Data Management strengthening and reform actually originate?
– Will Data Management have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
Data architecture Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Data architecture results and tour deciding if Data architecture progress is made.
– Can we describe the data architecture and relationship between key variables. for example, are data stored in a spreadsheet with one row for each person/entity, a relational database, or some other format?
– Does your bi software work well with both centralized and decentralized data architectures and vendors?
– Do we need an enterprise data warehouse, a Data Lake, or both as part of our overall data architecture?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Data Management processes?
– Why is Data Management important for you now?
Data integration Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Data integration issues and customize techniques for implementing Data integration controls.
– In which area(s) do data integration and BI, as part of Fusion Middleware, help our IT infrastructure?
– Can we do Data Management without complex (expensive) analysis?
– Which Oracle Data Integration products are used in your solution?
– How can we improve Data Management?
Data privacy Critical Criteria:
Sort Data privacy strategies and do something to it.
– Are stakeholders, including eligible students or students parents, regularly notified about their rights under applicable federal and state laws governing data privacy?
– Which customers cant participate in our Data Management domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Will the GDPR set up a one-stop-shop for data privacy regulation?
– What about Data Management Analysis of results?
Management fad Critical Criteria:
Group Management fad decisions and look at the big picture.
– Consider your own Data Management project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Data Management is underway?
Data management plan Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Data management plan quality and revise understanding of Data management plan architectures.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Data Management project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Data Management project lifecycle?
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Data Management? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– What would be needed in a data management plan to describe use of novel equipment?
– Who is responsible for managing the data and the data management plan?
– Where will the data and data management plan be stored?
Business intelligence Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Business intelligence planning and improve Business intelligence service perception.
– Does your BI solution honor distinctions with dashboards that automatically authenticate and provide the appropriate level of detail based on a users privileges to the data source?
– Research reveals that more than half of business intelligence projects hit a low degree of acceptance or fail. What factors influence the implementation negative or positive?
– Does the software let users work with the existing data infrastructure already in place, freeing your it team from creating more cubes, universes, and standalone marts?
– What strategies will we pursue to ensure the success of the business intelligence competency center?
– what is the difference between Data analytics and Business Analytics If Any?
– Who prioritizes, conducts and monitors business intelligence projects?
– Does your client support bi-directional functionality with mapping?
– Is Business Intelligence a more natural fit within Finance or IT?
– What are the best use cases for Mobile Business Intelligence?
– What is your anticipated learning curve for report users?
– What are alternatives to building a data warehouse?
– Will your product work from a mobile device?
– How stable is it across domains/geographies?
– How is Business Intelligence related to CRM?
– What level of training would you recommend?
– What are typical reporting applications?
– Business Intelligence Tools?
Information Lifecycle Management Critical Criteria:
Mix Information Lifecycle Management risks and develop and take control of the Information Lifecycle Management initiative.
– Among the Data Management product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Data Management moving forward?
Competence Center Corporate Data Quality Critical Criteria:
Adapt Competence Center Corporate Data Quality planning and differentiate in coordinating Competence Center Corporate Data Quality.
– How do we manage Data Management Knowledge Management (KM)?
Data mart Critical Criteria:
Steer Data mart results and describe the risks of Data mart sustainability.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Data Management project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– What are the barriers to increased Data Management production?
– What is the purpose of data warehouses and data marts?
Relational database Critical Criteria:
Examine Relational database decisions and develop and take control of the Relational database initiative.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Data Management in a volatile global economy?
– How do we Identify specific Data Management investment and emerging trends?
Data theft Critical Criteria:
Depict Data theft tactics and be persistent.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Data Management product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Data Management ?
– How much does Data Management help?
Data asset Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Data asset governance and display thorough understanding of the Data asset process.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Data Management models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– What are the particular research needs of your organization on big data analytics that you find essential to adequately handle your data assets?
– Is there a catalog of all data assets that will be used or stored in the cloud environment?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Data Management study?
Business continuity planning Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Business continuity planning decisions and find answers.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Data Management values?
– What is the role of digital document management in business continuity planning management?
– What is business continuity planning and why is it important?
– Have all basic functions of Data Management been defined?
– What are current Data Management Paradigms?
Marketing operations Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Marketing operations quality and create Marketing operations explanations for all managers.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Data Management?
– What are the short and long-term Data Management goals?
Customer data integration Critical Criteria:
Graph Customer data integration leadership and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Customer data integration projects.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Data Management workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
Identity theft Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Identity theft quality and oversee Identity theft management by competencies.
– Identity theft could also be an inside job. Employees at big companies that host e-mail services have physical access to e-mail accounts. How do you know nobodys reading it?
– Do we monitor the Data Management decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– How to deal with Data Management Changes?
Random access Critical Criteria:
Substantiate Random access strategies and sort Random access activities.
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Data Management leaders?
– What is the purpose of Data Management in relation to the mission?
Master data management Critical Criteria:
Mix Master data management decisions and spearhead techniques for implementing Master data management.
– Why should we use or invest in a Master Data Management product?
– Is a Data Management Team Work effort in place?
– What Is Master Data Management?
Data processing Critical Criteria:
Discuss Data processing leadership and be persistent.
– Traditional data protection principles include fair and lawful data processing; data collection for specified, explicit, and legitimate purposes; accurate and kept up-to-date data; data retention for no longer than necessary. Are additional principles and requirements necessary for IoT applications?
– What are some strategies for capacity planning for big data processing and cloud computing?
– Who regulates/controls wording of the Consent for personal data processing document?
– Can the consent for personal data processing be granted to us over the phone?
– What vendors make products that address the Data Management needs?
– Do you see a need to share data processing facilities?
Database administration Critical Criteria:
Explore Database administration projects and look for lots of ideas.
– Rapid application development (rad) techniques have been around for about two decades now and have been used with varying degrees of success. sometimes rad is required for certain projects. but rad can be bad for database design. why?
– Disaster recovery planning, also called contingency planning, is the process of preparing your organizations assets and operations in case of a disaster. but what do we define as a disaster?
– What are our disaster recovery goal prioritazations? Do we want to get the system up as quickly as possible?
– Who should be called in case of Disaster Recovery?
– What are specific Data Management Rules to follow?
– Do we have past Data Management Successes?
Data quality assurance Critical Criteria:
Look at Data quality assurance planning and describe the risks of Data quality assurance sustainability.
– What is our Data Management Strategy?
Data cleansing Critical Criteria:
Depict Data cleansing tasks and look in other fields.
– Is there an ongoing data cleansing procedure to look for rot (redundant, obsolete, trivial content)?
– Does the Data Management task fit the clients priorities?
– What threat is Data Management addressing?
Data analysis Critical Criteria:
Analyze Data analysis failures and forecast involvement of future Data analysis projects in development.
– What is the difference between Data Analytics Data Analysis Data Mining and Data Science?
– How likely is the current Data Management plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– What are some real time data analysis frameworks?
Enterprise content management Critical Criteria:
Probe Enterprise content management management and pay attention to the small things.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Data Management services/products?
– What is Effective Data Management?
Data maintenance Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Data maintenance results and know what your objective is.
– What potential environmental factors impact the Data Management effort?
– Which Data Management goals are the most important?
Data governance Critical Criteria:
Boost Data governance failures and pioneer acquisition of Data governance systems.
– Data Considerations. Data governance, confidentiality, integrity and quality need to be preserved by the migration. Is the data bound by statutory compliance?
– Have mechanisms been put in place to de-identify data whenever possible(e.g.,by removing all direct and indirect identifiers)?
– Are tools only acquired after requirements have been analyzed, or are major purchases sometimes made to use up year-end money?
– Are there hiring and training practices especially for metadata and taxonomy positions?
– How can you affect the amount of, quality of, or protection of data and metadata?
– At what organizational level is it appropriate to have a new data element?
– How do new opportunities come to the data governance council s attention?
– Why is the need to implement data governance urgent?
– Is there a process in place to examine query logs?
– What happens to projects after they are completed?
– What are the benefits of data governance?
– Why is lack of data governance urgent?
– Why create a data governance system?
– Do you have an up-to-date schedule?
– How effective is data governance?
– How do we link them to content?
– Who should do what, and when?
– What is badly designed data?
– Do you have a bug database?
– How do we put them to use?
Data enrichment Critical Criteria:
Consult on Data enrichment planning and forecast involvement of future Data enrichment projects in development.
– Do we all define Data Management in the same way?
CRM software Critical Criteria:
Contribute to CRM software issues and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive CRM software projects.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Data Management process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Data Management process available?
– Is there a Data Management Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– Is there an organized user group specifically for the CRM software?
ERP software Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on ERP software quality and ask what if.
– What are all of our Data Management domains and what do they do?
– What ERP software has B2B B2C eCommerce WebStore Integration?
– What are the long-term Data Management goals?
Corporate Data Quality Management Critical Criteria:
Model after Corporate Data Quality Management results and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Corporate Data Quality Management projects.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Data Management processes?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Data Management that make it risky?
Identity management Critical Criteria:
Coach on Identity management tactics and spearhead techniques for implementing Identity management.
– In the case of a Data Management project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Data Management project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Data Management project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– With so many identity management systems proposed, the big question is which one, if any, will provide the identity solution to become standard across the internet?
– Do we keep track of who the leading providers of identity management products and services are, and what are their key offerings, differentiators and strategies?
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Data Management process?
– How is the market for identity management evolving in new technologies, market trends and drivers, and user requirements?
– Did we develop our saas identity management solution in house or was it acquired from other vendors?
– Complement identity management and help desk solutions with closedloop import and export?
– What is the security -life cycle identity management business case?
– What are the identity management facilities of the provider?
– What is a secure identity management infrastructure?
– What is identity management to us (idm)?
– How can identity management help?
– Are there Data Management Models?
– What about identity management?
Data mining Critical Criteria:
Meet over Data mining management and summarize a clear Data mining focus.
– Do you see the need to clarify copyright aspects of the data-driven innovation (e.g. with respect to technologies such as text and data mining)?
– What types of transactional activities and data mining are being used and where do we see the greatest potential benefits?
– What is the difference between business intelligence business analytics and data mining?
– Is business intelligence set to play a key role in the future of Human Resources?
– How will you know that the Data Management project has been successful?
– What programs do we have to teach data mining?
– How do we Lead with Data Management in Mind?
Data warehouse Critical Criteria:
Check Data warehouse goals and work towards be a leading Data warehouse expert.
– What tier data server has been identified for the storage of decision support data contained in a data warehouse?
– What does a typical data warehouse and business intelligence organizational structure look like?
– Does big data threaten the traditional data warehouse business intelligence model stack?
– Is data warehouseing necessary for our business intelligence service?
– Is Data Warehouseing necessary for a business intelligence service?
– What is the difference between a database and data warehouse?
– Do we offer a good introduction to data warehouse?
– Data Warehouse versus Data Lake (Data Swamp)?
– Do you still need a data warehouse?
– Centralized data warehouse?
Data quality Critical Criteria:
Audit Data quality results and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Data quality projects.
– What should I consider in selecting the most resource-effective data collection design that will satisfy all of my performance or acceptance criteria?
– Would an information systems (is) group with more knowledge about a data production process produce better quality data for data consumers?
– Has the program/project clearly documented (in writing) what is reported to who, and how and when reporting is required?
– Do we double check that the data collected follows the plans and procedures for data collection?
– Are data maintained in accordance with international or national confidentiality guidelines?
– Do we Clean – fill gaps and fix errors (in the context of associated data where possible?
– Is data recorded with sufficient precision/detail to measure relevant indicators?
– What is the proportion of duplicate records on the data file extract?
– Is information on the physical properties of the media required?
– Do you have a plan or procedure to collect and review data?
– What is the proportion of missing values for each field?
– Are people involved in the development identified?
– Feedback is necessary, but how is it provided?
– Data Quality: how good is your data?
– Where is the domain expertise?
– Why do we want to manage data?
– Do you train data collectors?
– What makes up a good record?
– Where do you clean data?
Open data Critical Criteria:
Canvass Open data projects and find the essential reading for Open data researchers.
Data modeling Critical Criteria:
Boost Data modeling management and handle a jump-start course to Data modeling.
– In what ways are Data Management vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
System integration Critical Criteria:
Model after System integration results and catalog what business benefits will System integration goals deliver if achieved.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Data Management strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– what is the best design framework for Data Management organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– How do you address back-end system integration?
Postal code Critical Criteria:
Infer Postal code governance and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Postal code results.
– Do the Data Management decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Data Management Management?
Big data Critical Criteria:
Focus on Big data strategies and integrate design thinking in Big data innovation.
– From all the data collected by your organization, what is approximately the percentage that is further processed for value generation?
– What are the main obstacles that prevent you from having access to all the datasets that are relevant for your organization?
– Do you see the need to address the issues of data ownership or access to non-personal data (e.g. machine-generated data)?
– Is your organizations business affected by regulatory restrictions on data/servers localisation requirements?
– What are the disruptive innovations in the middle-term that provide near-term domain leadership?
– What would be needed to support collaboration on data sharing in your sector?
– Which other Oracle Business Intelligence products are used in your solution?
– How will systems and methods evolve to remove Big Data solution weaknesses?
– How do we track the provenance of the derived data/information?
– Big Data: what is different from large databases?
– Is recruitment of staff with strong data skills crucial?
– How fast can we determine changes in the incoming data?
– Are our Big Data investment programs results driven?
– What is the limit for value as we add more data?
– How to attract and keep the community involved?
– What if the data cannot fit on your computer?
– Is Big data different?
– what is Different about Big Data?
– What about Volunteered data?
– What s limiting the task?
Machine-Readable Documents Critical Criteria:
Probe Machine-Readable Documents quality and define what our big hairy audacious Machine-Readable Documents goal is.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Data Management is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– How can you negotiate Data Management successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
Information system Critical Criteria:
Rank Information system adoptions and look at the big picture.
– Have we developed a continuous monitoring strategy for the information systems (including monitoring of security control effectiveness for system-specific, hybrid, and common controls) that reflects the organizational Risk Management strategy and organizational commitment to protecting critical missions and business functions?
– On what terms should a manager of information systems evolution and maintenance provide service and support to the customers of information systems evolution and maintenance?
– Has your organization conducted a cyber risk or vulnerability assessment of its information systems, control systems, and other networked systems?
– Are information security events and weaknesses associated with information systems communicated in a manner to allow timely corrective action to be taken?
– Are information systems and the services of information systems things of value that have suppliers and customers?
– What does the customer get from the information systems performance, and on what does that depend, and when?
– What are the principal business applications (i.e. information systems available from staff PC desktops)?
– Why Learn About Security, Privacy, and Ethical Issues in Information Systems and the Internet?
– What are information systems, and who are the stakeholders in the information systems game?
– How secure -well protected against potential risks is the information system ?
– Is unauthorized access to information held in information systems prevented?
– What business benefits will Data Management goals deliver if achieved?
– What does integrity ensure in an information system?
– Is authorized user access to information systems ensured?
– How are our information systems developed ?
Data curation Critical Criteria:
Apply Data curation management and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Data curation results.
– Does our organization need more Data Management education?
Knowledge management Critical Criteria:
Probe Knowledge management adoptions and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Knowledge management.
– Learning Systems Analysis: once one has a good grasp of the current state of the organization, there is still an important question that needs to be asked: what is the organizations potential for developing and changing – in the near future and in the longer term?
– What are the best practices in knowledge management for IT Service management ITSM?
– What best practices in knowledge management for Service management do we use?
– When is Knowledge Management Measured?
– How is Knowledge Management Measured?
Information ladder Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to Information ladder quality and find the essential reading for Information ladder researchers.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Data Management processes?
– Are assumptions made in Data Management stated explicitly?
Data steward Critical Criteria:
Reason over Data steward decisions and cater for concise Data steward education.
– Have data stewards (e.g.,program managers) responsible for coordinating data governance activities been identified and assigned to each specific domain of activity?
– Will Data Management deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– Other data stewards?
Data integrity Critical Criteria:
Give examples of Data integrity decisions and achieve a single Data integrity view and bringing data together.
– Integrity/availability/confidentiality: How are data integrity, availability, and confidentiality maintained in the cloud?
– In a project to restructure Data Management outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– Can we rely on the Data Integrity?
– Data Integrity, Is it SAP created?
Information architecture Critical Criteria:
Study Information architecture governance and perfect Information architecture conflict management.
– Before diving into design, think hard about why users are searching your site, and what they want to get out of their search. Are they likely to search for certain types of information, such as specific product descriptions or staff directory entries?
– Is the solution going to generate structured, semistructured, unstructured information for its own use or for use by entities either internal or external to the enterprise?
– The level of searching expertise users have: Are they comfortable with Boolean operators, or do they prefer natural language?
– What is the smallest section of content that needs to be individually indexed?
– What are the different types of information elements that should be modeled?
– How can I set up a good information architecture for my site seo efforts?
– Rephrase each goal as a content area (e.g. How do I get to your office?)
– How does the proposed solution help measure each performance indicator?
– Are you emphasizing content that works against your brand positioning?
– Have text analytics mechanisms like entity extraction been considered?
– Are the availability requirements for the information determined?
– Should the solution facilitate analysis of related information?
– What are the relationships among various information elements?
– What are the short-term goals with respect to the web site?
– Have the standard types of search been evaluated for use?
– How to incorporate user preferences and past behavior?
– Why do bad architectures happen so often?
– Who comes to your website and why?
– Do you need a taxonomy strategy?
– Is there a metadata strategy?
Metadata publishing Critical Criteria:
Check Metadata publishing tactics and budget for Metadata publishing challenges.
– Does Data Management include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
Information design Critical Criteria:
Own Information design leadership and research ways can we become the Information design company that would put us out of business.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Data Management objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– What are the best places schools to study data visualization information design or information architecture?
Information management Critical Criteria:
Test Information management projects and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Information management decisions.
– What is the difference between Enterprise Information Management and Data Warehousing?
– How is Business Intelligence and Information Management related?
Records management Critical Criteria:
Deduce Records management strategies and ask questions.
– Have records center personnel received training on the records management aspects of the Quality Assurance program?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Data Management?
Data proliferation Critical Criteria:
Use past Data proliferation leadership and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Data proliferation projects.
– Does Data Management analysis show the relationships among important Data Management factors?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Data Management forward?
Metadata discovery Critical Criteria:
Test Metadata discovery planning and be persistent.
– Think about the people you identified for your Data Management project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– Why are Data Management skills important?
Database management system Critical Criteria:
Confer over Database management system decisions and perfect Database management system conflict management.
– What database management systems have been implemented?
Extract, transform, load Critical Criteria:
Dissect Extract, transform, load risks and define what our big hairy audacious Extract, transform, load goal is.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Data Management?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Data Management opportunities costing us money?
Solution stack Critical Criteria:
Consider Solution stack leadership and attract Solution stack skills.
– Have the types of risks that may impact Data Management been identified and analyzed?
– Why should we adopt a Data Management framework?
Data retention Critical Criteria:
Merge Data retention planning and plan concise Data retention education.
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Data Management requirements in detail?
Metadata registry Critical Criteria:
Think about Metadata registry outcomes and develop and take control of the Metadata registry initiative.
Process Management Critical Criteria:
Study Process Management outcomes and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Process Management.
– What process management and improvement tools are we using PDSA/PDCA, ISO 9000, Lean, Balanced Scorecard, Six Sigma, something else?
Telephone number Critical Criteria:
Talk about Telephone number risks and handle a jump-start course to Telephone number.
Data access Critical Criteria:
Coach on Data access tactics and get the big picture.
– Have internal procedural controls been established to manage user data access, including security screenings, training, and confidentiality agreements required for staff with pii access privileges?
– What impact would the naming conventions and the use of homegrown software have on later data access?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Data Management agendas for the next 3 years?
– What are the data access requirements for standard file, message, and data management?
– What should be our public authorities policy with regards to data access?
– What impact would the naming conventions have on later data access?
– What are the effects software updates have on later data access?
– What are the implications of tracking/monitoring data access?
– How are data accessed?
Enterprise architecture Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize Enterprise architecture quality and report on developing an effective Enterprise architecture strategy.
– With the increasing adoption of cloud computing do you think enterprise architecture as a discipline will become more or less important to us and why?
– Enterprise architecture planning. how does it align with to the to be architecture?
– How does the standard fit into the Federal Enterprise Architecture (FEA)?
– Are Enterprise JavaBeans still relevant for enterprise architectures?
– Are software assets aligned with the agency enterprise architecture?
– Think of your Data Management project. what are the main functions?
– Are the levels and focus right for TOGAF enterprise architecture?
– Are software assets aligned with the organizations enterprise architecture?
– Is There a Role for Patterns in Enterprise Architecture?
– What is the value of mature Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Should we Consider Enterprise Architecture?
– What is an Enterprise Architecture?
– What Is Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Enterprise Architecture?
Document management system Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Document management system decisions and report on the economics of relationships managing Document management system and constraints.
– Is Data Management Required?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Enterprise Metadata Management Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Data Management External links:
Meter Data Management System (MDMS)
What is Data Management: Definition | Informatica US
UDSH Historical Data Management System
Data Management External links:
Meter Data Management System (MDMS)
Fountas & Pinnell Literacy Online Data Management System
What is Data Management: Definition | Informatica US
Data security External links:
[PDF]Title: Data Security Policy Code: 1-100-200 12-31 …
[PDF]Automotive Data Security – SAE International
Data Security | Federal Trade Commission
Digital preservation External links:
NDSR – Digital Preservation (Library of Congress)
Digital Bedrock – Digital Preservation Services
About – Digital Preservation (Library of Congress)
Reference data External links:
Engineers Edge – Reference Data for Engineers | GD&T …
Controlled vocabulary External links:
I Can Read It! Books | Controlled Vocabulary Books | Sonlight
What Is A Controlled Vocabulary? « Boxes and Arrows
ERIC – The Controlled Vocabulary–A Reexamination., …
Data erasure External links:
Complete Data Removal, Data Erasure Software – Blancco
Data Erasure Services – Green Safe IT Disposals
Data Erasure & Data Compliance | Xtech Global
Performance report External links:
Candidate Performance Report | NCSBN
Uniform Bank Performance Report (UPBR) Availability …
Public ADS-B Performance Report
Data architecture External links:
Certica Solutions: K-12 Cloud Platform and Data Architecture
DATAVERSITY – Data Architecture Summit 2017
Data Architecture | UDig
Data integration External links:
Data Integration Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Best Cloud Data Integration Software in 2017 | G2 Crowd
KingswaySoft – Data Integration Solutions
Data privacy External links:
Data Privacy and Cybersecurity | Mass.gov
Mullen Coughlin – Cybersecurity & Data Privacy
Data Privacy Lab
Management fad External links:
9 answers: Is / Was Six Sigma a management fad? – Quora
Is ‘mindfulness’ just another management fad? | Fortune
Six Sigma…a Stupid Management Fad? | NC State …
Data management plan External links:
Data Management Plan Examples | NCSU Libraries
Metadata for Data: Data Management Plan | NCSU Libraries
Business intelligence External links:
List of Business Intelligence Skills – The Balance
Information Lifecycle Management External links:
SAP Data Volume & Information Lifecycle Management
Information Lifecycle Management (ILM) | Informatica US
Competence Center Corporate Data Quality External links:
Competence Center Corporate Data Quality | CDQ AG – …
Data mart External links:
MPR Data Mart
UNC Data Mart – University of North Carolina
[PDF]Finance Data Mart – Michigan Medicine
Relational database External links:
Introduction to Relational Databases — DatabaseJournal.com
Relational Databases – ScienceDirect
RDB: a Relational Database Management System
Data asset External links:
Data Asset definitions – Defined Term
Marketing operations External links:
The Hershey Experience-Marketing Operations Intern
Marketing Operations – Aprimo
Marketing Operations Cross Company Alliance (MOCCA)
Customer data integration External links:
Data Processing & Customer Data Integration (CDI) | Merkle
Customer Data Integration – Just another Tamr Inc. Sites site
Experian | Customer Data Integration CDI
Identity theft External links:
Identity Theft | Consumer Information
[PDF]Identity Theft and Your Social Security Number
Identity Theft Protection Service | Protect My ID
Random access External links:
Random Access – Guggenheim
“Flash Gordon” Random Access (TV Episode 2007) – IMDb
Master data management External links:
Master Data Management/PIM Advisory & Implementation
Healthcare Master Data Management
Best Master Data Management (MDM) Software – G2 Crowd
Data processing External links:
[PDF]DATA PROCESSING ASSISTANT – Michigan
Data Factory – Data processing service | Microsoft Azure
Data processing (Book, 1988) [WorldCat.org]
Database administration External links:
DBArtisan | Database Administration Solution
Virtual-DBA: Remote DBA | Remote Database Administration
Data quality assurance External links:
Data Quality Assurance Solutions – ObservePoint
Data Quality Assurance Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Data quality assurance – SearchDataManagement
Data cleansing External links:
[DOC]Without a data cleansing – University of Oklahoma
Data Cleansing Solution – Salesforce.com
Data analysis External links:
Regional Data Warehouse/Data Analysis Site
AnswerMiner – Data analysis made easy
Data Analysis Examples – IDRE Stats
Enterprise content management External links:
Best Enterprise Content Management (ECM) Software in …
Enterprise Content Management Solution | Laserfiche
Data maintenance External links:
Data Maintenance Coordinator | IllinoisJobLink.com
Job Information: Data Maintenance Specialist Job
Data Maintenance | Digital Data Technologies Inc
Data governance External links:
What is data governance (DG)? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Dataguise | Sensitive Data Governance
Data Governance Analyst Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Data enrichment External links:
What is Data Enrichment? | Datanyze
Playment: Training data for AI, Data Enrichment Services
Data enrichment – Experian Data Quality
CRM software External links:
Improveit!360 – Contractor Software – Remodeler CRM Software
Simple CRM Software – Highrise
Asset Manager CRM Software – Satuit Technologies
ERP software External links:
BUSINESS™ ERP Software – Accounting, CRM, HR, …
Corporate Data Quality Management External links:
CDQM means Corporate Data Quality Management – All …
Towards a Framework for Corporate Data Quality Management
Identity management External links:
Sample Identity Management Job Descriptions | HIMSS
Colorado Department of Education Identity Management
Testing Identity Management – OWASP
Data mining External links:
[PDF]Data Mining Mining Text Data – tutorialspoint.com
[PDF]Data Mining Report – fas.org
Title Data Mining Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Data warehouse External links:
Title Data Warehouse Analyst Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
[PDF]Data Warehouse – Utility’s Smart Grid Clearinghouse
http://smartgrid.epri.com/UseCases/DW – Utility DOE SG Clearhouse_ph2add.pdf
Cloud Data Warehouse | Snowflake
Data quality External links:
ISO Data Quality – NOAA Environmental Data Management …
Data quality (Book, 2001) [WorldCat.org]
Open data External links:
City of Seattle Open Data portal
State of New York | Open Data | Open Data NY
County of Sonoma | Open Data | Open Data | Sonoma County
Data modeling External links:
| Peace, Love, Data Modeling
[PDF]Course Title: Data Modeling for Business Analysts
The Difference Between Data Analysis and Data Modeling
System integration External links:
Smart Grid Solutions | Smart Grid System Integration …
Kyloe Partners | Bullhorns Global System Integration …
Postal code External links:
1 Location Near Postal Code 98052 – Motion Industries
Korea Postal Code System Change – FedEx
Find a Postal Code | Canada Post
Big data External links:
Pepperdata: DevOps for Big Data
Information system External links:
[PDF]National Motor Vehicle Title Information System
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System: …
Data curation External links:
SPEC Kit 354: Data Curation (May 2017) – publications.arl.org
What is data curation? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Data curation (Book, 2017) [WorldCat.org]
Knowledge management External links:
Spoke · Intelligent ticketing and knowledge management
Innovatia | Next-Level Knowledge Management
Lucidea | Knowledge Management Software
Data steward External links:
So you want to be a Data Steward? – DATAVERSITY
Data Steward Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
http://A data steward is a person responsible for the management and fitness of data elements (also known as critical data elements) – both the content and metadata. Data stewards have a specialist role that incorporates processes, policies, guidelines and responsibilities for administering organizations’ entire data in compliance with policy and/or regulatory obligations.
Data integrity External links:
Data Integrity Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Data Integrity Jobs – Apply Now | CareerBuilder
[PDF]Data Integrity Manager JD – laerdaltraining.com
Information architecture External links:
What is Information Architecture? | IA Institute
Information Architecture | The Understanding Group
Information Architecture Basics | Usability.gov
Information design External links:
Information Design Journal [IDJ] – Mobile Menu
Information design (Book, 2000) [WorldCat.org]
Information Design: The Understanding Discipline
Information management External links:
Home | Information Management
Health Information Management (HIM) Education and …
Records management External links:
Records Management Policy | Policies & Procedures
National Archives Records Management Information Page
Records Management | North Dakota ITD
Data proliferation External links:
[PDF]Data Proliferation STOP THAT – THIC
Database management system External links:
Electronic Database Management System (EDMS) | PSC …
Petroleum Database Management System (PDMS)
Database Management System – Lucidea
Extract, transform, load External links:
What is ETL (Extract, Transform, Load)? Webopedia Definition
ETL Tools (Extract, Transform, Load) – Information Builders
Data retention External links:
[PDF]XtraMath Data Retention Policy
[PDF]Data Retention and Destruction Policy
[DOC]Data Retention Policy – hr.waddell.com
Metadata registry External links:
Open Metadata Registry
ERIC – Distributed Interoperable Metadata Registry; How …
Process Management External links:
HEFLO BPM | Business Process Management
Business Process Management Tool | myInvenio
Workflow Software, Business Process Management …
Data access External links:
Soil Data Access – Home
NOAA: Data Access Viewer
StaffLink Online Data Access
Enterprise architecture External links:
Enterprise Architecture Center of Excellence
Center for Enterprise Architecture
Enterprise Architecture Professional Journal
Document management system External links:
Document Management System
http://Manage your scanned documents in cabinets, drawers, and folders with ease. You can also export/import documents for backup/restore purposes, send in mail or print the documents. Two user modes…
Casnet – Document Management System & Scanning …
Electronic Document Management System for Higher …