What is involved in Virtual Desktop Infrastructure
Find out what the related areas are that Virtual Desktop Infrastructure connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Virtual Desktop Infrastructure journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Virtual Desktop Infrastructure leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Virtual Desktop Infrastructure related domains to cover and 107 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Virtual Desktop Infrastructure, Desktop virtualization, Apple–Intel architecture, Application software, Application virtualization, Citrix XenApp, Cloud computing, Data as a service, Desktop environment, Hardware virtualization, Microsoft App-V, Microsoft Windows, Oracle Corporation, Parallels Desktop for Mac, Remote Desktop Protocol, Remote Desktop Services, Software as a service, Tablet computer, Thin client, VMware Fusion, VMware Horizon View, VMware ThinApp, Virtual PC:
Virtual Desktop Infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Investigate Virtual Desktop Infrastructure governance and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– An administrator of a virtualized data center is particularly concerned about nic failure. what should the administrator configure to address this concern?
– Do you track when individuals who are authorized to access the data leave johns hopkins yet are still authorized to access data?
– Is the server registered in the it@jh tenable/nessus scanning tool for scans to be administered at least once per quarter?
– Does remote server administration require multi-factor authentication of administrative users for systems and databases?
– Which hypervisor component is responsible for performing binary translation of instructions that can not be virtualized?
– Which cloud Service Management process maintains information in the Configuration Management database (cmdb)?
– What is a limitation of using a backup agent on a hypervisor when backing up virtual machine (vm) data?
– Which address is used to statically identify a physical port in a fibre channel san environment?
– Which fibre channel (fc) port type would only be used to connect an fc switch to another switch?
– Are all servers actively monitored and access logged and monitored through it@jh systems center?
– What is a benefit of automated site failover capability in a data center environment?
– What is explored during the proof of concept phase for cloud adoption?
– Which amazon cloud product recently experienced a massive outage?
– What is a best practice for selecting drives for a thin pool?
– Which emc product provides a unified storage platform?
– What does integrity ensure in an information system?
– Which raid technique does the graphic represent?
– Which statement is true about vm-to-vm affinity?
– What is a characteristic of channel technology?
– , Why virtual desktop at ccri ?
Desktop virtualization Critical Criteria:
Scan Desktop virtualization failures and work towards be a leading Desktop virtualization expert.
– Do those selected for the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure team have a good general understanding of what Virtual Desktop Infrastructure is all about?
– How would the developing vdi (vmware) and ddi (citrix) solutions meet the desktop virtualization challenges presented by ringling college?
– What are our needs in relation to Virtual Desktop Infrastructure skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– How do we Identify specific Virtual Desktop Infrastructure investment and emerging trends?
Apple–Intel architecture Critical Criteria:
Own Apple–Intel architecture issues and ask questions.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Virtual Desktop Infrastructure strengthening and reform actually originate?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Virtual Desktop Infrastructure project manager?
Application software Critical Criteria:
Generalize Application software tasks and summarize a clear Application software focus.
– When a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– How do you manage the new access devices using their own new application software?
– Is the process effectively supported by the legacy application software?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Virtual Desktop Infrastructure Management?
– Is Virtual Desktop Infrastructure Required?
Application virtualization Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Application virtualization outcomes and integrate design thinking in Application virtualization innovation.
– Does Virtual Desktop Infrastructure systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– Does the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure task fit the clients priorities?
– Which product provides an application virtualization solution?
– Why should we adopt a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure framework?
Citrix XenApp Critical Criteria:
X-ray Citrix XenApp visions and figure out ways to motivate other Citrix XenApp users.
– Does Virtual Desktop Infrastructure create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Virtual Desktop Infrastructure?
– What are internal and external Virtual Desktop Infrastructure relations?
– What about disaster recovery?
Cloud computing Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Cloud computing leadership and transcribe Cloud computing as tomorrows backbone for success.
– Security and authentication technologies, allied to event logging, in the cloud computing environment can help auditors as they deal with issues related to workflow were those who entered, approved, changed or otherwise touched data authorized to do so, on an individual, group or role-related basis?
– Governance: Is there a governance structure to ensure that PII is managed and protected through its life cycle, even when it is stored or processed in a cloud computing environment?
– How can we create a secure environment to protect our data, especially when new business models like cloud computing and mobility leave us with little control over it?
– How do the end users of cloud computing know that their information is not having any availability and security issues?
– Are the risks associated with cloud computing actually higher than the risks enterprises are facing today?
– How should we report on the geographic location (street address) for cloud computing solutions?
– What challenges and opportunities does cloud computing present for IT service management ?
– What is the future scope for combination of Business Intelligence and Cloud Computing?
– Are assumptions made in Virtual Desktop Infrastructure stated explicitly?
– When is utility computing preferable to running a private cloud?
– Will cloud computing lead to a reduction in it expenditure?
– What are the security concerns with cloud computing?
– Is the market ready yet for P2P cloud computing?
– What will cloud computing look like in 5 years?
– How do you prepare your data center for Cloud?
– What is scalability and why is it important?
– Why is cloud security such a big challenge?
– How does BYOD affect security in the cloud?
– How not to be locked in a SaaS system?
– Why is cloud computing important?
Data as a service Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to Data as a service adoptions and look at it backwards.
– In a project to restructure Virtual Desktop Infrastructure outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Virtual Desktop Infrastructure move?
– Who sets the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure standards?
Desktop environment Critical Criteria:
Focus on Desktop environment tactics and define what do we need to start doing with Desktop environment.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Virtual Desktop Infrastructure is underway?
– What is our formula for success in Virtual Desktop Infrastructure ?
Hardware virtualization Critical Criteria:
Focus on Hardware virtualization planning and create Hardware virtualization explanations for all managers.
– Will Virtual Desktop Infrastructure have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– Is maximizing Virtual Desktop Infrastructure protection the same as minimizing Virtual Desktop Infrastructure loss?
– What are specific Virtual Desktop Infrastructure Rules to follow?
Microsoft App-V Critical Criteria:
Mine Microsoft App-V decisions and pay attention to the small things.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Virtual Desktop Infrastructure services/products?
– Does Virtual Desktop Infrastructure analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
Microsoft Windows Critical Criteria:
Categorize Microsoft Windows engagements and revise understanding of Microsoft Windows architectures.
– What are the disruptive Virtual Desktop Infrastructure technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Virtual Desktop Infrastructure leader?
Oracle Corporation Critical Criteria:
Rank Oracle Corporation decisions and look at it backwards.
– Think about the people you identified for your Virtual Desktop Infrastructure project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Virtual Desktop Infrastructure in a volatile global economy?
Parallels Desktop for Mac Critical Criteria:
Design Parallels Desktop for Mac quality and look for lots of ideas.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure into the services that we provide?
– Think about the functions involved in your Virtual Desktop Infrastructure project. what processes flow from these functions?
– How do we ensure that implementations of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure products are done in a way that ensures safety?
Remote Desktop Protocol Critical Criteria:
Recall Remote Desktop Protocol adoptions and do something to it.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Virtual Desktop Infrastructure project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure project lifecycle?
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Virtual Desktop Infrastructure strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure study?
Remote Desktop Services Critical Criteria:
Define Remote Desktop Services outcomes and cater for concise Remote Desktop Services education.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Virtual Desktop Infrastructure processes?
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Virtual Desktop Infrastructure?
– Which statement is true about remote desktop services (rds)?
Software as a service Critical Criteria:
Track Software as a service decisions and learn.
– For your Virtual Desktop Infrastructure project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure processes of our organization?
– Why are Service Level Agreements a dying breed in the software as a service industry?
– What are the usability implications of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure actions?
Tablet computer Critical Criteria:
Analyze Tablet computer results and customize techniques for implementing Tablet computer controls.
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure requirements in detail?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Virtual Desktop Infrastructure activities?
– How is the value delivered by Virtual Desktop Infrastructure being measured?
Thin client Critical Criteria:
Refer to Thin client management and triple focus on important concepts of Thin client relationship management.
– How likely is the current Virtual Desktop Infrastructure plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– How important is Virtual Desktop Infrastructure to the user organizations mission?
– How do we go about Comparing Virtual Desktop Infrastructure approaches/solutions?
VMware Fusion Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on VMware Fusion governance and balance specific methods for improving VMware Fusion results.
– Which customers cant participate in our Virtual Desktop Infrastructure domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Among the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
VMware Horizon View Critical Criteria:
Substantiate VMware Horizon View management and catalog VMware Horizon View activities.
– What are the barriers to increased Virtual Desktop Infrastructure production?
– Do we have past Virtual Desktop Infrastructure Successes?
VMware ThinApp Critical Criteria:
Reason over VMware ThinApp tactics and differentiate in coordinating VMware ThinApp.
– How would one define Virtual Desktop Infrastructure leadership?
Virtual PC Critical Criteria:
Value Virtual PC governance and pioneer acquisition of Virtual PC systems.
– How do we Improve Virtual Desktop Infrastructure service perception, and satisfaction?
– Is there any existing Virtual Desktop Infrastructure governance structure?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Virtual Desktop Infrastructure External links:
Horizon 7 | Virtual Desktop Infrastructure | VDI | VMware
Desktop virtualization External links:
MED-V – Microsoft Desktop Virtualization | TechNet
Application and Desktop Virtualization – Citrix
Download Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization …
Application software External links:
wiTECH Diagnostic Application Software Download – …
Application virtualization External links:
Download Microsoft Application Virtualization for …
Hotfix Package 1 for Microsoft Application Virtualization 5.1
Citrix XenApp External links:
HQDA Citrix XenApp Application Portal
Lifecycle Announcement for Citrix XenApp 5.x and 6.x
How to publish an App-V-enabled application in Citrix XenApp
Cloud computing External links:
Microsoft Azure Cloud Computing Platform & Services
AWS Cloud Computing Certification Program – aws.amazon.com
CRM Software & Cloud Computing Solutions – Salesforce UK
Data as a service External links:
Data as a Service | MOTOR
BrightPlanet – Deep Web Data Collection & Data as a Service
Desktop environment External links:
Lumina Desktop Environment | Exploring and sharing …
Screenshots | Lumina Desktop Environment
Hardware virtualization External links:
How to Enable Hardware Virtualization – MEmu App Player
Microsoft App-V External links:
Microsoft App-V – Virtual Applications | TechNet
Microsoft Windows External links:
Creating a Password Reset Disk in Microsoft Windows …
Oracle Corporation External links:
Oracle Corporation – ORCL – Stock Price Today – Zacks
Oracle Corporation (ORCL) After Hours Trading – NASDAQ.com
ORCL Conversations | Oracle Corporation – Yahoo Finance
Parallels Desktop for Mac External links:
Getting Started | Parallels Desktop for Mac
Remote Desktop Protocol External links:
Remote Desktop Protocol (Windows) – msdn.microsoft.com
Understanding the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP)
Remote Desktop Services External links:
Using certificates in Remote Desktop Services
Remote Desktop Services tools are not functional after …
How to Force Remote Desktop Services on Windows 7 to …
Software as a service External links:
Enterprise Gamification Software as a Service Platform
What is Software as a Service (SaaS) – Salesforce.com
DENTAWEB Software as a service
Tablet computer External links:
Yuma 2 rugged tablet computer
Samsung Galaxy Book: Windows Tablet Computer | …
Touchscreen Tablet Computer for Seniors
Thin client External links:
TER Death Thin Client Page – Death Registration System
TER Death Thin Client Page
What is a Thin Client | Thin Client Education
VMware Fusion External links:
VMware Fusion – Official Site
VMware Horizon View External links:
VMware Horizon View
NYCHHC – VMware Horizon View
NYCHHC – VMware Horizon View
VMware ThinApp External links:
VMware ThinApp 5 Documentation Center
VMware ThinApp 5.2 Release Notes
Virtual PC External links:
Description of Windows Virtual PC – support.microsoft.com
How to Make a ‘Virtual PC’ on Your USB Device (with Pictures)