What is involved in Business rules
Find out what the related areas are that Business rules connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Business rules thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Business rules engine journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Business rules engine leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Business rules related domains to cover and 110 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Business rules, Business rule, Business, Business Process Modeling Notation, Business analysis, Business analyst, Business logic, Business process, Business rule management system, Business rule mining, Business rules approach, Conceptual schema, Decision Model and Notation, Drools, Ephemeral, Glossary, Knowledge, Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Business Rules, Z notation:
Business rules Critical Criteria:
Study Business rules planning and handle a jump-start course to Business rules.
– Does Business rules create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– In what ways are Business rules vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Business rules activities?
Business rule Critical Criteria:
Generalize Business rule quality and intervene in Business rule processes and leadership.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Business rules models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– If enterprise data were always kept fully normalized and updated for business rule changes, would any system re-writes or replacement purchases be necessary?
– How will you measure your Business rules effectiveness?
Business Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about Business risks and achieve a single Business view and bringing data together.
– Agile project management with Scrum derives from best business practices in companies like Fuji-Xerox, Honda, Canon, and Toyota. Toyota routinely achieves four times the productivity and 12 times the quality of competitors. Can Scrum do the same for globally distributed teams?
– If on-premise software is a must, a balance of choice and simplicity is essential. When specific users are viewing and interacting with analytics, can you use a named-user licensing model that offers accessibility without the need for hardware considerations?
– Does the software let users work with the existing data infrastructure already in place, freeing your IT team from creating more cubes, universes, and standalone marts?
– Does your mobile solution allow you to interact with desktop-authored dashboards using touchscreen gestures like taps, flicks, and pinches?
– When conducting a business process reengineering study, what should we look for when trying to identify business processes to change?
– Does your bi solution require weeks of training before new users can analyze data and publish dashboards?
– what is the most effective tool for Statistical Analysis Business Analytics and Business Intelligence?
– What is the biggest value proposition for new BI or analytics functionality at your company?
– Are there select use cases you want to incubate and lead for your organization or business?
– Its worth asking the question: why are business sponsors for it projects so important?
– What are the primary business drivers for our initiative. What business challenges do we face?
– How significant is the value that the legacy system provides the business?
– How do we appropriately integrate Cybersecurity risk into business risk?
– Do we appropriately integrate Cybersecurity risk into business risk?
– Does your software integrate with active directory?
– What are some real time data analysis frameworks?
– Is there any support in the business or in IT?
Business Process Modeling Notation Critical Criteria:
Huddle over Business Process Modeling Notation governance and perfect Business Process Modeling Notation conflict management.
– Does the Business rules task fit the clients priorities?
– What are internal and external Business rules relations?
Business analysis Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Business analysis planning and create Business analysis explanations for all managers.
– How can you negotiate Business rules successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– What happens to the function of the business analysis in user story development?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Business rules been identified and analyzed?
– How will you know that the Business rules project has been successful?
Business analyst Critical Criteria:
Merge Business analyst projects and sort Business analyst activities.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Business rules strengthening and reform actually originate?
– How do we measure improved Business rules service perception, and satisfaction?
– What are typical responsibilities of someone in the role of Business Analyst?
– What is the difference between a Business Architect and a Business Analyst?
– Do business analysts know the cost of feature addition or modification?
Business logic Critical Criteria:
Model after Business logic governance and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Business logic decisions.
– Is Business rules dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– What is Effective Business rules?
Business process Critical Criteria:
Recall Business process failures and sort Business process activities.
– Do we identify maximum allowable downtime for critical business functions, acceptable levels of data loss and backlogged transactions, RTOs, RPOs, recovery of the critical path (i.e., business processes or systems that should receive the highest priority), and the costs associated with downtime? Are the approved thresholds appropriate?
– Has business process Cybersecurity has been included in continuity of operations plans for areas such as customer data, billing, etc.?
– What finance, procurement and Human Resources business processes should be included in the scope of a erp solution?
– Do the functional areas need business process integration (e.g., order entl. billing, or Customer Service)?
– Do we have detailed information on the business process for refunds and charge backs if they are required?
– If we process purchase orders; what is the desired business process around supporting purchase orders?
– If we accept wire transfers what is the desired business process around supporting wire transfers?
– Will existing staff require re-training, for example, to learn new business processes?
– What business process supports the entry and validation of the data?
– How do we improve business processes and how do we deliver on that?
– What core business processes drive our industry and channel today?
– On what basis would you decide to redesign a business process?
– How does the solution handle core business processes?
– What/how are business processes defined?
– What is the business process?
Business rule management system Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Business rule management system planning and achieve a single Business rule management system view and bringing data together.
– What are specific Business rules Rules to follow?
– What will drive Business rules change?
– How to deal with Business rules Changes?
Business rule mining Critical Criteria:
Boost Business rule mining decisions and oversee Business rule mining management by competencies.
– Will Business rules have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– How do we maintain Business ruless Integrity?
– How much does Business rules help?
Business rules approach Critical Criteria:
Debate over Business rules approach planning and tour deciding if Business rules approach progress is made.
– What are the key elements of your Business rules performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– To what extent does management recognize Business rules as a tool to increase the results?
– What are the short and long-term Business rules goals?
Conceptual schema Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize Conceptual schema planning and work towards be a leading Conceptual schema expert.
– What are the Essentials of Internal Business rules Management?
Decision Model and Notation Critical Criteria:
Adapt Decision Model and Notation governance and reduce Decision Model and Notation costs.
– Which customers cant participate in our Business rules domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Business rules forward?
– Who will provide the final approval of Business rules deliverables?
Drools Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze Drools goals and describe the risks of Drools sustainability.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Business rules project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Business rules project lifecycle?
– Can we do Business rules without complex (expensive) analysis?
– Have all basic functions of Business rules been defined?
Ephemeral Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Ephemeral goals and describe the risks of Ephemeral sustainability.
– What is the source of the strategies for Business rules strengthening and reform?
– How do we Lead with Business rules in Mind?
– Are there Business rules problems defined?
Glossary Critical Criteria:
Mix Glossary tasks and arbitrate Glossary techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Business rules project?
– Is there any existing Business rules governance structure?
Knowledge Critical Criteria:
Focus on Knowledge engagements and probe Knowledge strategic alliances.
– Do we support the certified Cybersecurity professional and cyber-informed operations and engineering professionals with advanced problem-solving tools, communities of practice, canonical knowledge bases, and other performance support tools?
– Since cycles now take a variable time to complete we need acknowledge signals for each request and each operation (not shown). How long to hold bus before re-arbitration ?
– Key problem solving knowledge resides with the knowledge workers, and not the manager. So, how do we adapt project management techniques to deal with this key reality?
– How do we get started on this major task and what critical knowledge do we need to consider from a People, Process, Product and Partner perspective?
– What is the organizations most effective method of training for information governance knowledge and skills?
– To what extent does the organization have the ability to implement the new skills, knowledge and behaviors?
– What is the organizations preferred method of training for information governance knowledge and skills?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Business rules project manager?
– Would you rather sell to knowledgeable and informed customers or to uninformed customers?
– What best practices in knowledge management for Service management do we use?
– Which program has the most knowledge of the useful value of the information?
– Do you have a clear understanding of the required skills and knowledge?
– Do candidates receive acknowledgement of receipt of their application?
– What is the role of Project Management Body of Knowledge?
– Does Customer Knowledge Affect How Loyalty Is Formed?
Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Business Rules Critical Criteria:
Pilot Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Business Rules adoptions and interpret which customers can’t participate in Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Business Rules because they lack skills.
– Does Business rules analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– How important is Business rules to the user organizations mission?
Z notation Critical Criteria:
Depict Z notation leadership and gather Z notation models .
– Does Business rules systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– Does Business rules appropriately measure and monitor risk?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Business rules engine Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Business rules External links:
Move.mil – Contact Us – SDDC/DPS Business Rules and …
InRule’s Business Rules Management System helps IT and business automate rules – without code – for increased productivity, revenue and customer service.
http://Move.mil – Contact Us – SDDC/DPS Business Rules and …
[PDF]proposed Business Rules for Training (Phase I)
Business rule External links:
Business Rules vs. Business Requirements …
Business Rule in service-now | ServiceNow Community
Glossary – Business Rule
Business External links:
Business Entity Search – Business Services Online
Business Process Modeling Notation External links:
CiteSeerX — Business Process Modeling Notation
Title: Business Process Modeling Notation – An Overview
About the Business Process Modeling Notation …
Business analysis External links:
Business analysis (eBook, 2010) [WorldCat.org]
International Institute of Business Analysis – Official Site
Business analyst External links:
Project Management and Business Analyst Conferences
Business Analyst – jobs.kumc.edu
Title Business Analyst Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Business logic External links:
SQL and Business Logic – Dimitri Fontaine, PostgreSQL …
[PDF]Business Logic in the Presentation Layer – Tim …
Business process External links:
20 Best Title:(business Process Manager) jobs (Hiring …
What is business process? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Canon Business Process Services
Business rule management system External links:
The Anatomy of a Business Rule Management System
Business rule mining External links:
Business Rule Mining from Spreadsheets – SAO/NASA …
[PDF]Business Rule Mining from Spreadsheets
Business rules approach External links:
Business Rules Approach in Software Development – YouTube
The Business Rules Approach and Its Effect on Software …
Business Process Management with a Business Rules Approach has 4 ratings and 0 reviews. HE S REVOLUTIONIZED I.T. OPERATIONS AROUND THE …
Conceptual schema External links:
Evaluating Social Interventions: A Conceptual Schema – …
[MC-CSDL]: Conceptual Schema Definition File Format
Conceptual schema | Article about conceptual schema by …
Decision Model and Notation External links:
What is Decision Model and Notation – DMN?
Ephemeral External links:
Ephemeral | Define Ephemeral at Dictionary.com
Ephemeral Synonyms, Ephemeral Antonyms | …
Ephemeral Fishing Pole – Item – World of Warcraft
Glossary External links:
Glossary of Legal Terms | United States Courts
Glossary of Stock Market Terms & Definitions – NASDAQ.com
Glossary – NOAA’s National Weather Service
Knowledge External links:
Knowledge Exchange Disclaimer
Army Knowledge Online – Official Site
Indiana University – IU Knowledge Base
Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Business Rules External links:
Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Business Rules
Z notation External links:
E-Z NOTATION FOR GEOMETRIC ISOMERISM – chemguide